Can there be Mold Under a House?
Mold can be a major problem for people. Mold spores can be the cause of symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose and eyes to outright discomfort, headaches, asthma attacks, and even exacerbating other chronic conditions and feeling generally miserable.
Mold is a naturally occurring, organic fungus. Mold is caused where there is the right combination of darkness, moisture, warmth, oxygen, a source of food like wood or other organic material and time. Mold comes in many different species, which is part of why it can have different effects on different people (or no effect at all).
Mold itself is not the problem for people, it is the spores it produces that are the issue. Mold reproduces by blasting spores into the air. It is those spores that people draw into their lungs and which might make them sick.
Mold in house, mold under house
Because mold is naturally occurring, it can grow pretty much anywhere that conditions are right. While people are familiar with problems that come of mold forming in the home, people can also suffer allergies from mold under the house.
Mold spores are invisible. You cannot avoid them as such. Because of this, mold can be hiding inside walls, in ceilings, under carpets, and there can even be mold under a house.
How does mold manage to get under a house?
All homes have a great deal of pipes and tubes and drainage and such under the home. Sometimes, in particular in older homes, these old pipes can be a good place for mold under a house to grow. Other problems can involve improper drainage, which can then cause moisture to build up, and if the place is dark and warm, mold could develop.
Because mold spores can cause people to become ill, mold under a house is an issue if it releases spores into the home and makes its occupants ill.
To remove mold, a thorough cleaning with bleach, vinegar, detergent or specialty cleaners need to be done. To help prevent molds’ growth, you need to work to remove moisture, to dry out the existing space and keep an eye on overall dampness.
Because mold feeds on organic material like wood, in addition to allergen concerns it can cause structural degradation. Like termites and general rot, mold eats away at the wood and can, unchecked, cause considerable damage.
How can I identify mold under a house, or otherwise?
There are several ways to recognize mold. These include:
Check for smell. A moldy or mildewy smell is an indicator that mold is present.
Check for visible signs of mold. Mold appears in numerous colors including gray, white, black, or green.
Be mindful of leaks. If you’ve found a leak that may have been missed for a while, mold growth is possible given its need for moisture.
Be aware of the possibility of hidden mold. Mold can hide in walls, in ceilings, and there can be mold under a house. This can make its detection and subsequent removal somewhat tricky.
Think you might have a mold problem? You can do your own checking for mold! If you think you might have mold under house, try our mold testing kit to see for yourself.
tags: healthy home, toxin free home, hazards in home, lead, asbestos, radon, indoor air quality, ecoli, e-coli, lead test, asbestos test, radon test, indoor air quality test, ecoli test, e-coli test, diy lead test, diy asbestos test, diy radon test, diy indoor air quality test, diy ecoli test, diy e-coli test, home lead test, home asbestos test, home radon test, home indoor air quality test, home ecoli test,