What to know about Lead Poisoning in Kids
The wellbeing of children is of vital importance to parents. When it comes to the environs they live in and the toys they play with it is important to know that you are avoiding lead poisoning in kids.
If you reside in an older home, it is particularly important that you test for lead. Older houses constructed prior to the EPA ban on lead paints in 1978 need to be checked for lead to ensure safety for all who call them home.
Also concerning is toys made outside of the United States, where the safety regulations are less strict or less readily enforced. Such toys have been found to be a danger when it comes to lead poisoning in kids.
How does Lead Poisoning in Kids Happen?
Lead can enter the body when inhaled or swallowed, and even in some instances just by touching a lead product and absorbed through the skin. Whether you are dealing with acute toxicity (which is high levels of lead exposure in a short time), or chronic toxicity (which is smaller amounts of lead exposure over a longer period) – the effects can be equally dangerous to a child’s health and wellbeing.
Lead poisoning in kids can lead to terrible medical problems. Lead is particularly toxic in children, and can cause permanent learning and behavior disorders. Further, lead poisoning can lead to issues with bones, the heart, liver, kidneys, and the nervous and reproductive systems, as well as other tissues and organs.
If you have a toddler it is very important that you make certain your home has no lead paints. Smaller children in particular are at risk because they do not know any better, and tend to put things in their mouth no matter what it is. Further, there is more potential for lead poisoning in kids as they are crawling around and there is chipped paint or even dust in an environment that has not been cleared for lead.
What are some of the symptoms of lead poisoning in kids?
Symptoms of lead poisoning can include behavioral problems and irritability, headaches, loss of appetite, weight loss, constipation, muscle and joint weakness or pain, sluggishness or fatigue, complaints of a metallic taste in the mouth among others. If you notice any of these see your medical professional as soon as possible to test for any lead poisoning in kids.
What can I do to protect from lead poisoning in kids?
First, check local state and municipal laws with regards to lead paint and abatement regulations. Many states specify disclosure for sellers and landlords when it comes to lead paint matters. Additionally, find out of there is a known lead problem in the neighborhood you live in.
Second, if your home was constructed prior to 1978 there are numerous test kits available that will let you run tests for lead. This will help you to know if you need to to do testing for lead poisoning in kids or yourself for that matter.
While there is treatment for lead poisoning in kids, prevention is still the best medicine.
If you suspect that your home has lead hazards, take immediate steps to reduce your families’ or the homeowner’s risks by purchasing Environmental Innovative Technologies’ do-it-yourself lead testing kits.